Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011

One day makes a difference...

I understand that finding extra time is a challenge in today's busy world.  I also have learned that carving out a little time on one day saves me time, energy and frustration the rest of the week.

For me that day is Sunday.

Check in with each person who lives in your house, even if it's by text message!  Figure out what everyone's schedules are for the week and who will be home on what nights for dinner.

Decide what you're having for dinner each night.  Don't worry about the "I don't know what I'll be in the mood for..." that mindset creates uncertainty and therefore stress.  Make things you like and your family likes - you can always flip nights if the mood strikes midweek!

On nights when we're home at a reasonable time and all here, I might actually make something that requires day-of preparation, but Tuesday nights are soccer nights for my daughter.  We typically eat in shifts so I like to have something in the fridge that can be easily heated in the microwave as each person is ready to eat.  It saves me time and money Tuesday night not having to go out and reduces the "what am I going to make?" stress.

Create the menu, then the grocery list.  Go to the store.  I am in and out of the grocery store in about an hour including drive time there and back.  I know what I want.  At this point I can typically go to the store every other week for larger trips.  The off week just requires a trip for bread, milk and produce - 15 minutes tops!

Once home today, I will be turning on the NCAA basketball games to watch my Jayhawks play while I'm working in the kitchen.  Do I want to spend the time in the kitchen?  Not really, I'm not a great cook and I don't particularly enjoy it... but I do enjoy that it reduces my stress later in the week and reduces the food portion of my budget.  I also like knowing that we're eating healthier...

Giving up part of the day once a week makes a difference.

5 comments:

  1. I do this also (learned from you!) and it really saves so much time and makes life so much easier. Ultimately I save money too. Right now we're only a family of two but I can use produce in multiple dishes during the week when I've planned in advance so that nothing goes to waste. Saving time AND money always wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's on the menu this week?

    Ham & Broccoli Quiche (using leftover ham - but tell my hubby it's an egg bake not a quiche!)

    Chicken Patties on Whole Wheat buns with Mixed Veggies

    Spaghetti & Meatballs

    BBQ Chicken Breasts with Sweet Potato Fries

    Wild Rice & Sausage Bake

    I need to get sausage when I go to the store for milk, eggs, bread and produce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOOO glad you posted this! Dan LOVES that you make a menu but I always thought they were too rigid to fit with the "what am I in the mood for tonight" doubts. HOWEVER this is the FIRST week I'm going to give it a whirl. They days may change, but the menu is set, ingredients purchased. I'm going to test drive it for 4 weeks (through the end of April) and see how I feel about it May 1st. THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This idea works for my family too. I also find that menu planning not only saves us money and calories, but causes us to eat dinner fairly early so the kids can get to bed at a decent hour; and hubby and I have some time to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Posting your week's menu is a great idea. Obviously you can't do that all the time, but it's a good way to give others some new ideas to add to their dinner rotation :)

    ReplyDelete